National Executive Committee
The National Executive Committee (NEC) has the primary purpose to provide strategic direction for the Labour Party as a whole and to work in partnership with the Party’s representatives in Parliament, the European Parliament, devolved administrations and local government to set and secure the Party’s objectives across the country, and oversees the running of the Party nationally.
It is made up of of elected representatives from every section of the Party – the Shadow Cabinet, MPs, MEPs, councillors, trade unions, Socialist Societies, Constituency Labour Parties (CLPs), Young Labour and BAME Labour.
NEC candidates need at least 12 months membership and to have received nominations from at least five CLPs. Candidates do not require a nomination from their home CLP.
Nine NEC members are elected by their respective constituencies, and each serve a two-year term. Members vote for their CLP representative in a ballot. All members joined and fully paid up as of Friday 22 June 2018 were entitled to take part in the ballot. The ballot took place between Thursday 26 July and Thursday 30 August 2018. The results were announced on Monday 3 September 2018. See the candidate booklet here.
- Yasmine Dar (Manchester Gorton CLP): 88,176 (135) – ELECTED
- Claudia Webbe (Islington South and Finsbury CLP): 83,797 (129) – ELECTED
- Jon Lansman (Bermondsey and Old Southwark CLP): 83,072 (129) – ELECTED
- Rachel Garnham (Mid Bedfordshire CLP): 81,702 (128) – ELECTED
- Huda Elmi (Coventry South CLP): 80,371 (127) – ELECTED
- Darren Williams (Cardiff West CLP): 79,361 (111) – ELECTED
- Ann Henderson (Edinburgh South CLP): 79,176 (120) – ELECTED
- Nav Mishra (Hazel Grove CLP): 75,224 (107) – ELECTED
- Peter Willsman (Oxford East CLP): 70,321 (96) – ELECTED
- Eddie Izzard: 67,819 (113)
- Johanna Baxter (Greenock and Inverclyde CLP): 50,185 (69)
- Gurinder Singh Josan (Warley CLP): 48,643 (68)
- Ann Black (Oxford East CLP): 45,566 (70)
- Jasmin Beckett (Wirral West CLP): 43,955 (70)
- Heather Peto (Nottingham South CLP): 43,774 (75)
- Luke Akehurst (Oxford East CLP): 43,156 (65)
- Eda Cazimoglu (Edmonton CLP): 40,807 (64)
- Mary Wimbury (Aberconwy CLP): 40,507 (55)
- Lisa Banes (Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough CLP): 37,993 (59)
- Marianna Masters (Streatham CLP): 35,061 (47)
- Jonathan Fletcher (Ashton-under-Lyne CLP): 15,303 (28)
- Stephen Guy (City of Durham CLP): 14,985 (15)
- Nicola Morrison (Berwick-upon-Tweed CLP): 10,671 (18)
- James Craigie (Torridge and West Devon CLP): 10,326 (9)
- Gary Spedding (Tynemouth CLP): 9,854 (15)
- Stephen Stanners (Blyth Valley CLP): 8,909 (15)
Total votes: 1,288,714 (1780)
Note: How our CLP voted is in brackets.